I Have Fought a Good Fight

"May we resolve from this day forward to fill our hearts with love. May we go the extra mile to include in our lives any who are lonely or downhearted or who are suffereing in any way. May we "cheer up the sad and make someone feel glad." May we live so that when that final summons is heard, we may have no serious regrets, no unfinished business, but will be able to say with the Apostle Paul, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."
~ Thomas S. Monson

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Catch up Time!!!!

I haven't updated for a couple of days because my computer has been being a "putz". When I have the time, it isn't working, so, I have to unplug the router, modem and turn off the computer, and wait till the whole thing powers down, and then plug them back in in a certain order waiting several minutes in between....and so on, and so on!!!!! But, tonight it is working.

Sunday (8th) was an awesome day. Norm went to church again, with no oxygen. I brought it just in case and he did use it for about 20 minutes, then, he went to both of the other meetings without it!!!! He made it through all three meetings. It was pretty cool and I think he felt better when he knew that he could do it. Now, I think it may be a little easier for him.

He still can't sing the hymns cause he runs out of air!!!! So, now he has a good excuse not to sing!!!

Monday (9th) was kind of a lazy day. We had a bunch of errands to run, and that always makes me tired, and it sure makes him tired, but we survived. I never manage to get much housecleaning done on a day when we have errands. We went to Home Depot, Wal Mart, and Maceys. Doesn't sound like much but it was enough for both of us.

Last Friday, which was the 6th, we had an appointment with the Cardiac Rehab Unit down in Provo that is part of Utah Valley Regional Medical Center, where Norm had his surgery. Anyway, we went and talked to them and they did an intitial appointment, and then we went by the hospital where Norm had his stints put in a couple of years ago, and talked to the guy there, who did Norms Cardiac Rehab then. Norm really liked him when he was there before, so we decided to go with that program. It is on a much smaller scale but much more personal and welcoming. The other program in Provo is twice as far to travel, and we would have to be there at 8:00 a.m. for five days a week!!!!! I don't think so. This program is three days a week and we can pretty much be there whenever. We just decide on a time and then if we have to change it, it is alright. The other program was not like that. The reason you had to be there so early was because they only have patients in the workout area until noon and after 1:00 and after that it is for employee use only. So.........on Tuesday (10th) we made it to Cardiac Rehab!!!!!!

First he does 10 minutes on a treadmill, a short rest, then 10 minutes on a stationary bike. He did that Tuesday and Wednesday, then on this coming Friday, Chad, the excercise specialist, is going to make him do longer and faster times on the treadmill and bike and is also going to start him on some weights. On the days in between rehab, which is going to be on Mon, Wed and Friday, we have to do the walking and stuff by ourselves, so we are responsible on those days. That is more reason to get out there and get it done.
Norm did really well today (12th). For some reason, rehab is harder at home, but he did it!!! Then we came home and sat for a minute, had lunch then went out and fixed one of the sprinklers in the garden, put some of the tomato cages up, moved his pickup down closer to the shop, and then was about done, but that was huge.

He is doing so well. I just wish he wouldn't get so down about not being able to do much. He has come so far, but doesn't see the amazing progress he has made because he remembers nothing of the hospital, and how very sick he was for all that time.

Today was a great day. I don't know what made it great except that it is the only day of the week that we didn't have an appointment so we got some things done. Not much but at it is something. Plus, the weather was great, and it was just plain nice. I have said before that I never thought I would see the day when I wanted to clean house!!!! Now, I am going to try to keep up with what I did and do a little more each day. Got some laundry and dishes done, swept the kitchen floor, and just kinda picked up things all around the house. I am going to try to budget my time better because it feels so good to get something done.
I bought a new toy on Saturday, but, I won't let myself play with it until I get some things done in the house!!! It is killing me, but I would feel too guilty if I didn't get something done.
So, that's it. We had our car cleaned by pro's on Wednesday and it looks so good. It feels so nice to ride in a clean car. It was so dirty from my "living in it" all during the time Norm was in the hospital.
Speaking of cars, ours has mice in it!!!! I had a bag of pancake mix in the back seat and didn't take it right out and the next day, there was a hole in it. I couldn't believe it!!! Then, Norm and I stopped at Burger King a day or two after that, and forgot to take the bag out of the car. We went out the next day to go to therapy and there was a big hole in that. We thought sure that after we had taken the car to the car wash and it was pressure washed underneath and vacuumed out, that they would take off, but today when I went out, there was a Kleenex that Norm left in there and that was all chewed up!!!! So, we set some traps and put them in the car, one in the front, one on the floor in back of the front seat, and one in the trunk. About two hours later, we went out and we got a mouse in the trap in front, and in the one in the trunk!!!!! Dirty little buggers!!! We got rid of the dead ones and set the traps again!!!
Oh yea....by the way...we are still in sinus rythm!!! That is over three weeks now!!! Cool huh??? Chad says that he is having a normal reaction to excercise. What wonderful news!!!
What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner. ~Colette

1 comment:

Kristalyn said...

I can't believe you had mice in your car! I've never heard of that, hopefully you catch them! What does your new digital cutter do? It was fun to read a little about what you have been up to!