I Have Fought a Good Fight

"May we resolve from this day forward to fill our hearts with love. May we go the extra mile to include in our lives any who are lonely or downhearted or who are suffereing in any way. May we "cheer up the sad and make someone feel glad." May we live so that when that final summons is heard, we may have no serious regrets, no unfinished business, but will be able to say with the Apostle Paul, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."
~ Thomas S. Monson

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Well, what d' ya know!!!!!

Norm had a good visit with Dr. Lininger today. He is one of the doctors that work with Dr. Hilmo in the Rehab unit where Norm was. Dr. Lininger keeps track of the rehab patients that have gone home and makes sure all is well.

We had a ton of questions and he was so nice to listen to our concerns and addressed our questions, and gave us some really good ideas. Norm told him that he was having trouble breathing sometimes during the day. The doctor listened to Norms lungs and said they sound really clear, and that should not prevent breathing. So, he is giving him meds to help with anxiety, to see if that helps. We asked him about Norms cough and he thought maybe we could try something to see if it is allergies. A lot of the coughing starts with a tickle in his throat. He just gave us a lot of really useful information. Norms upset stomach could be due to the brain damage....now that was interesting.
But, the most interesting thing was that he said Norm could try driving!!! I am not sure if that is a good thing, cause I hated his driving before. Dr. Lininger said for me to go with him!!! He said that after I did, if I had any concerns, that Occupational Therapy could do a formal driving evaluation. Maybe that is the way to go, because his driving has scared me for a long time now. I will have to talk to Norm. For some reason, I think I would be a bad person to evaluate his driving. So, it sounds like Norm is on his way!!!!

He is doing better and better everyday in Cardiac Rehab. He can excercise longer and faster on the treadmill and the bike. He is now lifting weights and doing pushups. Sometimes his oxygen saturation goes down, but he recovers really fast and it doesn't make him so tired. I think if we can just do something about his cough, I think he will do a lot better with a lot of things. The hot weather doesn't do much for his breathing, but I am sure he will learn how to deal with that.

Well, remember how I said yesterday, that it was the "same old, same old" ???? And that among other things that did not come up yesterday....I said "nothing broke". Today made up for that.
Here is our dynamo grandaughter EmberLee. She is four years old. The picture on the left is when she had hair...the one on the right is after her and her little neighbor friend decided to play beauty shop!!!! Ember's mom decided to really give her a hair cut, thinking she would never touch her hair again.....but she loved it short!!!!
Anyway, today she was playing on the monkey bars at a family friends house and fell off. She landed right on her elbow!!! Ty took her to the doctor and it is broken, and may have to be pinned. Jake is having an orthopedic surgeon that he works with, look at the ex-rays tomorrow and then they will decide. Now, how is that for having "something broke". I guess even if they have to set it, it will have to be done in the O.R. cause she has to be "under".
Ty said that after the doctor put the sling on, and they got home, Ember wanted to take the sling off, cause her arm didn't hurt anymore!!! I sure hope she doesn't take it off when no one is looking. You talk about hurt!!!!! Guess we will all have to wait till tomorrow.
Interesting day. I am not going to say anything about "same old" again!!!!
My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~Ashleigh Brilliant

3 comments:

Lowe Family said...

It sure will be scary when dad starts to drive....good thing I live in Spanish Fork :)

Virginia said...

I am so glad that Norm is doing so well. I read your blog all the time. Just signed up so I can comment...

EmberLee sure keeps Ty and Jake on their toes. I hope your arm heals quickly!

Keep smiling!

Unknown said...

Gosh i miss seeing you! But I guess that's a good thing that we don't see eachother...if we did that would mean we were still inthe icu...and I just like thinking of the friends and not the place! Anyways...I am soooo happy to hear Norm is doing so well...you both deserve it. Sounds like he's gett'n really buff! And you sound to be doing so well...gosh, you make me laugh! I think I'd be slightly scared for the driving too...infact Mike's going to learn pretty soon with the switched out peddles...I'm a little scared (don't tell him I said so) we'll have to compare stories! Good Luck!

Love you're IcU Buddy! You're in my prayers!