I Have Fought a Good Fight

"May we resolve from this day forward to fill our hearts with love. May we go the extra mile to include in our lives any who are lonely or downhearted or who are suffereing in any way. May we "cheer up the sad and make someone feel glad." May we live so that when that final summons is heard, we may have no serious regrets, no unfinished business, but will be able to say with the Apostle Paul, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."
~ Thomas S. Monson

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Norman, Norman, Norman!!!!!!



Christy said I should be posting blogs because I am the one that sees the doctors and asks ?. Don't know if that is the best thing, but I will try....as you know, I have not done a blog in over a year. But, here goes.


I don't know where to begin with Normans new "adventure"!!!! Probably I shouldn't begin at the beginning because it is a long story that stretches from July 27th thru today, and beyond!!!! He managed to catch pneumonia while we were up camping with Rogers family. We had to jump in the car, drive 4 hours and go to the ER. There we spent 5 hours getting IV therapy. We came back the next evening for the last of the IV treatment, and Norm felt really good. During the day, he had taken his new truck (new to him) and had it detailed because it had a dirty dog in it over the weekend!!!! Oh my!!!!! ( I can't help it if Clancy rolled in dead fish just before we left!!!)


Anyway, Norm was feeling really good Thursday and at about 2 in the morning on Friday the saga begins. He had horrible pain in his stomach and so we headed off to the ER again.....8 hours later being admitted for gall bladder surgery!!!! The doctors and nurses at American Fork Hospital spent the following Friday, Sat and Sunday trying to get his blood thick enough to do the surgery. They had planned to do the surgery on Sunday and we were all ready for them to take him to the OR and they decided to transfer him to Provo ( they wanted a special piece of equipment to use during surgery, that American Fork didn't have so they send us to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. (That's where he was three years ago) After a day of poking and prodding, talking and scratching their heads, the doctors decided to do the surgery Monday morning. I got there a little late and had stopped to talk to a friend in the OR and headed up to the room, only to run into the surgeon who told me they had decided to go ahead!!! I am glad I wasn't any later.


The surgery went well and then his kidneys, liver, heart and lungs decided they were going to protest. And they did. It has taken until today to get them to begin to improve, except the kidneys. The numbers for the kidney function continue to go up, but as of yesterday, they were not going up at the same rate as they had been, which his new kidney doctor said is a good sign. The rise in toxicity, for lack of a better work, has slowed down. I have not been there yet today, to see if they have improved, but will try to get back here tonight to post it. Mainly that is the only thing that is keeping him from coming home. Dr. Hammond ( the kidney doctor that we recently added to Norm's collection), said yesterday that he didn't need to see the kidneys be totally back to what is normal for Norm........just a steady lowering of the numbers instead of a rise. There has been talk of dialysis, but not in the too near future. If they don't begin to improve, and he doesn't see the numbers change for the better, that may be a possibility. I pray not.


At any rate my friends, that is where we are now. I have left a lot out, partially because it has been just a whirlwind and I can't remember it all at once and partly because I am sure you don't want to read such a long blog! There was a "code" on the 7th floor, about 6 hours after he got there which necessitated a transfer to MICU where he spent a couple of days. On and on and on!!!! He does nothing the easy way!!! But, he is still here and still fighting. He is getting sick of the bed so I got permission to take him in the wheelchair along with his oxygen and IV pole, to the huge lobby of the hospital, to have a "picnic" with the girls. Think we will do that tomorrow.


That is my story, and I'm stickin' to it!!! Love ya all. I will try to be better about blogging! Didn't realize how much I missed it, but sure didn't want this latest instance to provide me the motivation!!! I promise to keep you posted.


"Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end!"

Author unknown

No comments: