Today was just today...what do I say?? It was one of those days where you can turn around and wonder where the day went, but then in some ways it seemed to drag on....but, oh well.
Norm and I decided that we were going to walk three times today, and go to Wal Mart..among all of the other daily things one does. Well, we got one good walk in, and never did make it to Wal Mart, so, no milk!!!! We did get the bills paid tho!!! What a fun time that was.....NOT!!!! Norm always paid the bills before and while he was in the hospital I paid them. That's why he stayed in there so long...he didn't want to see what a mess I had made of things. I did, too. So much of a mess that I just took it all to the bank and some poor lady took pity on me and figured it all out, so, we are straight.....pretty much. I lost some debit reciepts so we aren't really going to be straight until next month. Norm was not a particularly happy camper!!!! But, we got 'er done and it will be easier next time. We just have to learn how to blend two different ways of doing it into one big arguement and then we will be fine!!!
Tomorrow is back to therapy!!! He has speech and physical therapy. The last two days have been "off", but we are still trying to walk and work on those things that they gave us to do at home.
It takes us so long to go anywhere now. We have to load the walker, and the oxygen, along with the two of us!!! Almost like having a diaper bag. It is getting easier tho. The first time we went for therapy, we hadn't realized how long it would take us to get ready and go, that we missed our whole first appointment!!! They were really nice about it and I was in tears!!! I hate being late and we were both very frustrated. This too will pass, and it did!!! It isn't too bad now. We got some of those smaller oxygen tanks and it is tons easier. Plus, we learned when we are going somewhere the next day, you take your shower that night. Works good. It won't be long and things will go pretty slick.
Norm gets awful tired when we have these busy days, but it is a good tired and he sleeps well. Now that we have learned how to do the blood sugar stuff, that is going well too. So far, I have not had to give him a shot, he can do it himself, although, he has been really shaky from time to time and has been known to stab himself in the hand before he gets it in his leg!!!! But, it gets where it needs to go.
This "getting sick stuff" sure entails a lot of doctor appointments. He has an appointment with his heart surgeon on Wed of next week, an appointment with one of the rehab doctors the following week, an appointment with the doctor that did the pacemaker, and on and on, and on, but, at least we are able to do it. I feel so bad for the people who are not able to go to doctors. How blessed we are, that have insurance, and are old, and have Medicare!!!! I don't know where we would be without it.
All is well, really. Norm and I have really been able to spend some quality time together and talk a lot. It has been good for both of us. Not that I would want him to go though this just so we can talk, but, that is just one of the "perks".
On to "outpatient" rehab tomorrow. Outpatient sounds much better than "inpatient".
The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings. ~Eric Hoffer, Reflections On The Human Condition
Thursday, May 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
The things that have gone on in the last few months are unbelievable to me that Norm is standing on his own at home. I was so scared for the first little bit. More so for you, Jake and Christy....and me of course because I know what it's like to loose a parent. I am so greatful that it's just outpatient and the daily struggles of being at home getting used to new things being the new situation. I don't like not being able to come over. I was very discouraged when we decided not to come yesterday.
I love you Frances like my own mom. Thanks so much for being so strong. You are one of the neatest people I've ever known. I love Norm too. It's been a great experience coming to the hospital, helping and being "family". I'm greatful that Norm doesn't remember a lot of that too. I think that would make it harder for him. I'll have to share with him sometime some of the funny things he said while he was in high spirits. I think he'd get a kick out it. I love you guys
Post a Comment