I Have Fought a Good Fight

"May we resolve from this day forward to fill our hearts with love. May we go the extra mile to include in our lives any who are lonely or downhearted or who are suffereing in any way. May we "cheer up the sad and make someone feel glad." May we live so that when that final summons is heard, we may have no serious regrets, no unfinished business, but will be able to say with the Apostle Paul, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."
~ Thomas S. Monson

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Ain't This Grand???

Ya know, I really do have a lot to be thankful for. I have a home to keep me safe and warm, (or cool!!), I have a husband who is alive, food on my table, (and on my dirty dishes in the sink), clothes on my back, wonderful friends and neighbors, great children, great daughter in law and son in law who both treat my children well, money enough to pay our bills.....I really have everything I need. I belong to a church that teaches me how to be grateful for the right things, and to not worry about the rest. My church teaches me to have faith and know that everything is going to be alright and to know I am not alone in all of this. There is so much to be thankful for, rather than dwell on the unfortunate things life brings up once in a while. I think the last few days have been a real battle for me, because I have felt myself falling into the trap of self-pity and depression about all that needs to be done and all that I cannot do.


This whole thing has been a great lesson for Norm and I. We were just talking about that last night...how there is a lesson in this big mess, somewhere, for us to learn. We are learning some things now...out of necessity, but I know there is a lot to learn here, and I continually think of the fact that He does not put anything before us that we cannot handle if we do what He asks of us. I wonder why that priceless knowledge kind of slips out of your mind when you are in the middle of hard times, and you need it the most? Maybe lack of faith...I don't know. At any rate, I know that I need to work harder to keep that knowledge up in the forefront, and put all the "garbage " in the back of my mind.


Norm and I have had to kind of do a role reversal of sorts, and it is difficult to get used to. I cannot do the inside stuff. There just isn't time, so, it has fallen on him to do what he can, and I am outside doing the stuff I can do. Perhaps that is what we both have to learn is patience and to not be prideful.


Anyway, to catch up on things...Sunday (22nd) was an alright day. Norm made it to Sacrament, but was unable to stay for the rest of the meetings. The heat really takes it's toll on him. So, we just came home and kicked back. Our deck is like a sanctuary for me. It is not fancy and my swing looks like it has been through the Civil War, but I love it out there and that is where we spent a lot of the day Sunday. Our home teachers came and that is always a treat. They are always a pleasure to have in my home, but I think they are always glad to get out of here, cause we keep them too long, and talk to much!!!


Monday (23rd) was a Cardiac Rehab day. While Norm was exercising, I went fabric shopping!!!! Now, don't you think that made Norm walk fast on that treadmill!!!!! I found what I wanted in one store, but it was too expensive, so I went to another store and struck out!!!! So, you should have seen the relief on Norms face when I came back empty-handed. Right then and there, he got better really fast!!!!


We were really relieved that when they checked his heart rate in Rehab, that he was still in sinus rhythm, because when he was walking in church Sunday, he felt what they call a "flutter" which may have been his pacemaker kicking in. It has been so long since we have see sinus rhythm with him that we are very nervous. If he can keep sinus rhythm for 6 months, he can get off some of the dangerous medicine that is necessary to keep blood clots from forming. So, needless to say, we kind of held our breath until he told us that Norms heart rate was nice and regular.


Norm has been really distressed about the fact that our back gate is broken and needs to be welded. Our lawn mower is "captive" in our back yard because we can't use that gate so, our front lawn is looking pretty shabby. Our home teacher is supposed to be getting in touch with a member of the ward, that welds and to see if he can come over to do it. It is a very small job, and will, hopefully, only take a few minutes. But, it is one of those things the Norm seems to be dwelling on, and is just beside himself with. It has been so hard on him to be face to face with the things that he used to do, and that were so easy.....that he is unable to do now. The real lessons that we are learning are hard on him too, as he is learning that pride is getting in his way. He needs help and is totally unable to ask for it. His father was worse than that and it was pretty hard on his mom. I am learning to just jump right in there and impose on people, because I certainly am learning my limits. That is something that I am coming face to face with. But, life is a lesson, isn't it?


Tuesday (24th) was a bit of a "down day". I had to have a "talk" with Norm and let him know that I had reached my limit, and that he really needed to do whatever he could, to help me. I told him that we needed to make a list of things that he could do because I could not do it all. That sounds pretty mean I guess, but it needed to be said.....largely because he needs something to keep him busy. He needs to keep his mind working. One of the speech therapist told him that is the best way to get the brain to heal itself, is to learn or do something new, or that makes you think and really work your mind. I am not sure laundry is the answer, but, it is a help to me, and I need it!!!!


Tuesdays are usually Speech days, and it went very well. Jim is the therapists name and he said that he thought we should go to just once a week instead of two days a week, because Norm is progressing so well that he is running out of stuff to give him. Medicare only will pay for a certain amount of visits so, at this point Jim wants to space them out a little more to take care of problems that may arise, and to see how Norm does. He will be getting homework and stuff to do in between visits.


After speech, we took Christy out to lunch. She happened to be working and was off then, so we went out to the Brick Oven. We all had a nice lunch, but came home too tired to work. I took a nap and slept pretty well and when it was time for me to wake up, there was the cutest little face standing by my bed looking at me. It was my grandaughter EmberLee!!!! Her mom and her came by for a visit after a doctors appointment and Grandpa told her to come up and wake me up. So, that was pretty cool. We had a nice visit, but Ty and Ember had to go back home and so Ty could go to work. Jake has been working graveyards at the hospital, so he had to get in bed for a nap too. The visit was too short, but it was nice, never the less.


Today, I woke up early and went out to the garden to dig some weeds. They have gotten so out of control that I can no longer pull them....I have to dig them out, and believe you me.....there is a ton of them. But, like Christy said to me...." do a little at a time". Little did she know how little little would be!!!! But, on the bright side...there are fewer weeds out there than there was. Now, I have to go scoop them up and put them in the garbage can. Maybe I can just scoop up my troubles and put them in the garbage can too!!!!


Faith makes things possible, not easy. ~Author Unknown

1 comment:

Virginia said...

You and Norm are doing GREAT! Christy is right. Just one thing (weed, or dish, etc.) at a time.

It is hard to ask for help, and it sounds like you are overcoming that stumbling block.

Keep on Keeping On!