I Have Fought a Good Fight

"May we resolve from this day forward to fill our hearts with love. May we go the extra mile to include in our lives any who are lonely or downhearted or who are suffereing in any way. May we "cheer up the sad and make someone feel glad." May we live so that when that final summons is heard, we may have no serious regrets, no unfinished business, but will be able to say with the Apostle Paul, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."
~ Thomas S. Monson

Friday, July 18, 2008

Bittersweet day!!!!


Well, today was Norms last day in Speech Therapy. When we first got there, I went in to physical therapy to say hello to a couple of the therapists, and Norm went in to talk to Jim...the speech therapist. (I stole this picture from his wife's blog. This is Jim and his family.) When I got in there, Jim and Norm were talking and Jim said that he thought we really didn't need to come back anymore. He says that he had done about all he can for Norm. He is doing so well that they have no more work for him. Actually it was a good feeling to be done with therapy, but kinda sad when we drove away for the last time. I think we were both a bit teary. As we were driving away, I said to Norm, "it's kind of sad, isn't it?" and he said he felt the same way. We have been going there for a long time. Every day, for nine weeks, I went there, and at least three days a week since Norm has been out of the hospital, and that was April 29th. So, today, after just a little less than five months, we drove away from there for that last time as a patient. It sounds silly to be sad about it I guess, but I will miss those people who worked so hard for Norms recovery. I've said it before, and I will say it again.....they love their jobs and it shows. They help people every day and then when they are o.k. to go, they let them go. I wonder if it is just as hard on them to let patients go, as it is for the patient to leave??? They are really happy when patients get well enough to go home. I love that about them.
Anyway, I want to say thank you to you Jim. Thank you for helping Norm and teaching him that there is life after brain damage!!! Thank you for helping him learn that he can do it, for teaching him how to remember things, and giving him the confidence that he needs to go out there in the world and function like nothing ever happened. We (his family and I ) didn't know if he would ever come home again, after he had that 12 minute "code". Each day in Rehab, I could see small improvements, but it was a great boost to become an outpatient. Thank you so much for all that you did for him. I feel like we are on our way, but it is kind of scary out here by ourselves. You are a great therapist and a good friend. And thank you Carrie, for sharing your husband with all of us out here who need him. Thank you both.
We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures. ~Thornton Wilder
Good bye to Jim, Paul, Brian, Rhonda, Cynthia, Alan, Karen, Randy, Shane, Andy, Dr Hilmo, Dr. Alward, Dr. Hill, Dr. Cambell, Laurie, Kevin, Justin, Kendell, Little Dave, Big Dave, Nora, Karen, Miley, Jeff, Mark, Scott, Tyler, Doug, Rachel, Laurie, "The Loony Loomer", Dr. McCann, Dr, Mitchell, Ammon, Jennie Mae, Dr. Walker, Brad, Dr. Hwang, and so many others. There were respiratory therapists, there were physical therapist, speech therapist, occupational therapists, receptionists, secretaries, housekeeping, dietitians, lots of nurses, nurse's aids, Cath lab people, ex-ray people, lab people, cafeteria people, valet parking people, security people, diabetes clinic people, wound care people, chaplains, Dr. Lininger, Dr. Day, Abby, and tons of others. We both will miss you, but as Jim said, we hope never to see you all again, as a patient...only as a visitor. Thank you all for all of your help, prayers, love, kindness, work, worry, patience, and putting up with me getting in your way and asking questions. Thank you for all that you do, each and every day, for anyone who needs you.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~Margaret Meade

2 comments:

Lowe Family said...

It is so amazing how far dad has come. I remember thinking we would never see this day! I'm sure it is bitter sweet...much like ending a mission. Dad has come so far. Good job mom, sticking to his side the whole time. Love you both!!!

Jim said...

Norm and Frances,

You are wonderful people and I feel blessed to have gotten to know you both. Thank you for the kind words.

Sincerely,
Jim