Friday night we bid a fond farewell to one of the finest families you would ever want to meet. Karen and Gary Jarvis and Craig, "Cam", Jessica, Ross and Zack. They are moving to California to be near Karens parents in Loomis which is in the northern part of the state. How much they will be missed is beyond belief, but then I have been thinking about how selfish it is to want them to stay, when they are so excited about going. Everything seems to have fallen in place for them, although, secretly I wished something would have happened to convince them it was the wrong thing to do. (See, I told you I was selfish) Gary and his son Cameron were our home teachers for a couple of years and now Gary and Ross come to see us monthly...without fail.When we first moved here and we backed that big huge U-Haul truck into our driveway, Cameron Jarvis was the first one here to help us unload. He was about 13 then and not a really buff kid but he worked so hard to help us. He introduced himself as our home teacher and said that his dad wishes that he could be there but he was working. Then, people started coming out of the woodwork to help us unload and it took only about two hours.
From that point on, for the past (nearly six) years Gary, Cameron, Ross and Karen have been there for us whenever we needed them. Gary has said many prayers on our behalf and when Norm was in the hospital, he came nearly every day. He talked to me daily and constantly expressed his concern and desire to help. He organized some the of the men in the church and came over to plant our onions and peas, because I couldn't be home to do it. This kind of love and compassion wasn't only directed to us, it was the whole ward.
Someone said at the party, that Gary and Karen always made them feel like they were special to them. I was a bit saddened because I thought I was special to them, but then after I kicked myself for being more selfish, I thought how awesome that family is, for everyone in the ward to think that they are special. And ya know what.....we are. We are all important to Gary and Karen and they are special to everyone. I am trying really hard, to figure out how not to be sad for myself and my family, and the ward, and in turn, be happy for them. They are excited to make this move, and if it makes them happy, then I'm happy....at least I think I am. I'm trying.
I expressed my saddness to one of the other members of our ward, and he said, with all the wisdom that I don't have..." the Lord will fill that house with someone who needs us and we will need them". He is probably right, but in a way, I feel sorry for the family that moves into that home because they have huge shoes to fill. That house has been a house of love and warmth to

so many people.
And there is Jessica Jarvis who shall ever remain with us in the lessons she has taught us of strength, courage and love. She has survived her traumas because of her Heavenly Father, of course, and her own desire to overcome, but also because of the devotion of awesome parents and brothers.
I don't have any pictures of Craig (on a mission), Cameron, (about to go on a mission), Ross, who will be preparing to go on a mission in a few years and Zack who keeps them all together. I wish I did, but, I won't forget any of them.
I had a chance to sit and visit with "Cam" a while back, and how I will treasure that time. What a wonderful young man he is, and how he has prepared himself for the world. It has been a real treat for me, to know him and to call him my friend. He will always be a special friend.
Good bye Gary, Karen, Craig, "Cam", Jessica, Ross, and Zack. Out of sight but not out of mind, and forever loved. We are happy for you, but will miss you terribly. Have a wonderful life in Calif. We are here and we will not forget.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. ~Carol Sobieski and Thomas Meehan, Annie
Thank you!





1 comment:
That family is an awesome family. How we will also miss them, they have been a huge part of your lives, therefore ours. Gary and Karen are awesome parents. They have done such a great job as parents in raising such great and wonderful kids. Give them our loves, and good hopes in there new life in Calif. :) We love you too, I'm greatful for them for being such devoted neighbors, hometeachers, and lets just say family.
Post a Comment