Things here are well. Like I said, I am having a little bit of trouble not going nuts, but other than that, I am fine.
Norm had a doctor visit yesterday and she is pretty pleased. His blood sugar is really good and she seemed really happy about the improvements he has made. The first thing she said when she came in the room was that he looked like a "new man". People look at me funny when I say that I can see improvements every single day. Really I can. She was happy about the fact that his legs aren't nearly so swollen because of water retention. Of course a lot of that has to do with the fact that his heart is working like it is supposed to and the fact that he is moving around a lot more.
He is making huge strides with Cardiac Rehab too. Yesterday he went 30 minutes on the treadmill without stopping. That is a first!!!
Usually I drop him off at the front door of the hospital, then go park the car, he has to go up one floor to the cardiac rehab unit. Chad (the guy that is over the unit) wants Norm to be using his oxygen when he exercises so he takes it up there with him, but doesn't use it on the way, so, his oxygen saturation is usually pretty low by the time he gets up there. It should be 90 or above. Before it has been in the mid to high 80's. The last few times it has been in the low 90's!!! That is really good. And while he is on the treadmill, they take his "sats" and they are in the mid 90's usually, soooooooooo, things are moving along.
His heart is still in a regular rhythm and it is not a "paced" rhythm and that is another plus. Before, the pacemaker was keeping his rhythm regulated, but now it is Norms heart that is keeping things running right. The "maze procedure" that was done on his heart when they were doing all of that other stuff, was to try to keep his heartbeat normal, but it didn't work at first. Dr. Mitchell told us that it may not work for several months because the heart has to have time to heal. Well, after three cardioversions, and the pacemaker, it looks like the "maze" is working. The "maze" requires that they actually cauterize the parts of the heart that are "firing" irregularly so that needs to heal and form scar tissue...that is my understanding anyway. So, now we are hoping the "maze" is working. Dr. Mitchell really wants to get Norm off Cumadin (rat poison) and you can't be in a-fib to do that. Dr. Walker (the cardiologist) said that maybe we can take him off of it in a few weeks!!!! That is such good news.
So, things really are improving all of the time. The doctor visits have slowed down a ton, so we are not running all of the time. That helps a lot and we have a little time to just do stuff.
So, I am going to do whatever I can for him, and the doctors say that there is a good chance that his sight can be saved, so, I am going to stick with it, but I sure do hate it. I feel so bad for him. He just loves to dig and play, and those days are over, at least for a while. It would be nice to be able to explain to him that I am not being mean, that this is all to keep his eye safe and to let it heal. Soooo, ok, enough about my dog. Sorry.
Last week, when I had a particularly "poopy" day, I went out to sit on the front porch when it cooled off and this is what I saw:
Now, how does one continue in a bad mood when you see beauty like this??? I could have looked at this all night, but this transformation took only a matter of a couple of minutes. I know that I need to "cowboy up", but, that is going to take some work!!!!
Count the garden by the flowers, never by the leaves that fall. Count your life with smiles and not the tears that roll.
~Author Unknown





2 comments:
Maybe sometimes it's ok to be down. I think it's fine sometimes. Hopefully things will be better soon, with Clancy I mean. Hopefully in a few weeks there will be another reason to be happy :) Clancy's eye will be better and you'll have another grand baby, he won't be a girl, but hopefully that won't matter. Hang in there we love you still :)
I can't believe those clowds!!! That's crazy. Cool pictures though!
Post a Comment