I Have Fought a Good Fight

"May we resolve from this day forward to fill our hearts with love. May we go the extra mile to include in our lives any who are lonely or downhearted or who are suffereing in any way. May we "cheer up the sad and make someone feel glad." May we live so that when that final summons is heard, we may have no serious regrets, no unfinished business, but will be able to say with the Apostle Paul, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."
~ Thomas S. Monson

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My Son

I was doing something on my blog the other day and was looking at the pictures of my son, Jake, being a nut at work and thought about what a neat guy he is. I talk to Ty every day and Christy every day, but I don't get that many opportunities to talk to Jake. I don't get the opportunity very often, to tell him how very much his father and I love him and how proud we are of him.


Jake is one of the kindest, loving men I know. He loves life and he loves his family without hesitation. He works hard to provide for his family and never complains. He works hard at work, and is loved there by many. Jake keeps things "light" at work and it is a very close group of people. The doctors love him because he makes them all laugh, but at the same time, he is very skilled, and very dependable, so they all want him to work with them.


One of the things I have always loved about Jake is his amazing ability to forgive and forget. He has always been sensitive to others, and sometimes when he was in school, he put up with some cruel treatment, but always "loved his enemies". I should be able to forgive like him!!! (Workin' on it!)


Jacob has always been a joy to his father and I, and we are truly blessed to have him in our lives. He has always been a wonderful person. I have called him my "free spirit" and he truly is. Jake is Jake and what a treasure he is.


I went to Jake's work to say hello to him, because we were at the hospital anyway. He happened to be out of a room at the time and was right at the surgical nurses desk. He was able to visit for a moment then I had to go. After I had gone through the big doors that separate the surgical area from the rest of the hospital, Jake stuck his head out and called "Mom" as I was walking down the hall. There was a man wearing scrubs walking down the hall at the same time I was, and asked me "did he just call you mom????" I said "yes he did". The man said, "Did Jake call you mom???". I said that he did and that he was my son. The man said "Oh, I am so sorry!!!!" I had no idea that the man was a very well known doctor in the area and just loves Jake. This doctor knows Jake hates country western music, so keeps a special playlist on his Ipod. When Jake is scrubbed in and can't do anything about it, the doctor has someone put "Jake's music" on so they can listen during surgery!!! This same doctor calls him "Jackie".
That is my son. He is loved by so many of the people that he works with and they respect his dedication to his job and his skill. He is loved by many friends and neighbors alike, because he is always willing to help them and do what he can.
Jacob has struggled with many things, but has always come out on top of whatever the problem is. He is awesome!!!!

I want "Boo" to know how much I love him. His father and I recognize how special he is and how lucky we are that he chose to come to our family. We are grateful for him and what he has added to our lives. I would not trade him for anything.
We love you very much Jake.


Son, you outgrew my lap, but never my heart. ~Author Unknown
P.S. He does wonderful impressions too!!! Just let him know it is your birthday!!!!!!


2 comments:

Ty Lyman said...

That's not fair :) I having to clear my eyes through each blink. Yes, I'm bawling. He works so hard for my family. We have had a hard go, but we are going so strong right now. He's not only your treasure, but mine too. He's an awesome father, husband and friend. I wish I had known him my whole life. I know I'd be a better person. Thanks for dedicating a blog to the person I love the most. I love you guys, thanks for loving me too :)

Lowe Family said...

I sure do love that big teddy bear! I miss those high school days and colony days when we were neighbors. He's a great guy! I love you Jake