The whole thing is coming so fast. Norm and I are still nursing what tomatoes, and cucumbers that we have left. Now, the hard part comes, cause we have to get the garden all torn out and roto-tilled for the spring.
We are doing a little changing around this next spring so we have three old gnarly rose bushes to dig out and a Honeysuckle that wants to take over the neighborhood!!!! But, we will get it done.
Norm is doing really well now. He gets a ton better each day. I can see so many changes from day to day but he can't see them. We talk a lot about how things used to be when he first came home. I had to be in the very same room with him, every second, except when he was sleeping, and then, we had a baby monitor so he could just call me. He could not get out of bed by himself, and everything was just so difficult. It is amazing to look back and see how far he has come.
He moved a great big rock pile we had back by our garden in the back yard. It has been there for years and we have talked about moving it but just didn't have the motivation. He wasn't really fast at it, but he did it. I haven't been out by the shop to see where he put it!!! Maybe I don't want to!!! He is really having fun being able to do things. We bought a little trailer to pull behind the lawn mower. It wasn't really expensive and boy has it ever been a life saver!!! It even dumps!!!!
I just can't get enough of looking at him and knowing how close we were to loosing him so many different times. He is amazing. My bishop says "He's a miracle". He truly is. I don't know anyone that has fought that hard. I asked him yesterday, if he was ever sorry he had the surgery done and he said, "well, I would be dead if I hadn't".
Norm continues to loose weight. I guess it is alright, but it kind of scares me. He is a lot thinner, but I guess healthy enough to keep the doctors happy. We are still fighting that awful cough. His new doctor thinks he is allergic to one of the heart meds that he cannot go off of, so, now he uses two different inhalers. They seem to be helping a little and the doctor keeps telling us that when asthma flares up, it takes it a while to settle down. I think it is....I really do. Norm gets pretty discouraged sometimes, but I think all in all he is getting control of it.
Yesterday he was putting his shoes on and said that he thought his feet had lost weight!!!! I said" that kinda happens when your heart is working right and fluid doesn't pool around your ankles". He really is doing well.
I am seeing a few emotional "issues" but, I suppose that will come with time. It is sad to see how he is treated by some of the people around us, but they are the ones that are loosing out. I am just glad he is well and home. None of us knew if we would ever be able to say "Oh, Dad's out in the shop!!!" again. As we speak, that is where he is!!!
So, we are fine. I have had the "24 hour crud" today and had to cancel my sewing class, but I think I am on the mend. Rarely do I ever get sick, so when I am sick I am pretty much of a baby. Gotta have a certain kind of Popsicles. I was on the deck eating one today thinking that I used to eat this kind when I was a kid, and here I am at almost 60, still eating them. Orange and grape and cherry are the best, and if you can't have those, root beer will do. Don't like those weird blue ones tho!!!!
Conference was awesome this year. It was kind of a "back to basics' conference I thought. Such good council. So much strength . All during the conference, I keep thinking about how lucky we are and how much Heavenly Father does for us. During this whole thing with Norm, I have just felt "carried" through it. My family, his family and our Heavenly Father just took over. I just had the small stuff to deal with.
So the Lyman family is foraging forward. Last night when I was at Roberts, I saw one of the guys who took a lot of Norms chest ex-rays and it just brought everything back about how wonderful those people are there. I really miss some of them. Someday, I think I would like to take an afternoon and go down there to see some of them. They were always there for us.
Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it. ~William Arthur Ward





2 comments:
I can't believe the snow!!! I'm not ready. Dad sure has come a long way. I think it makes him feel "normal" when he's out in his shop.
I just read the childrens science exam answers....So funny! Kids sure say the craziest things. I can't wait to hear what Katie will come up with!
Post a Comment