
A little over 30 years ago, this little guy came into my life, and has been a source of joy and love every moment. He has truly been a blessing to us.
Five days ago, his father and I put him on a plane, and this big, wonderful son of ours walked out of our lives, to move to Alaska and start a new adventure in his life, with his family.
I have written this post three times now, because it has been such a difficult thing for me to deal with. I love my son deeply and will miss him horribly, along with five of my six beautiful grandchildren and my daughter in law. The saddness is overwhelming. Perhaps "walking out of our lives" not quite the way to put it, but Alaska is so far away, and it just seems like I will never see them again.
I remember the day when Jacob came into our lives. We had been married for nine years and were not blessed with children. We had done all we could to find out the reasons and there was nothing...........so, we began adoption. It took tons of paperwork and a very long wait, and eventually we got that wonderful phone call to come up to Sacramento, that they had a baby boy for us. When we got there, we talked with the social worker for a bit, then he took us into this room with a crib, and in the crib was a beautiful tiny baby boy, sleeping. The social worker left the room and we were in there alone with the baby and just stood there staring at him. He was perfect. Little did we realize that the mirror behind us was a two-way mirror and they were watching our every move. Finally the social worker came in and picked the baby up and handed him to his father. He held him for a moment, then handed him to me. I can't even describe what we both felt. It was love at first sight, and has been ever since.
What joy and happiness he has brought to our lives, and his sister adores him. We all do. It was extremely painful to watch him walk past the security gates, with his little nine month old son in his arms and his newly adopted 13 year old son walking beside him. He never looked back. I think he knew that his mother was not doing very well. It was sadness beyond measure.
For a week before they left, things were very busy for Jake and his family. They had to prepare for the movers to come and take their things, then they had to clean their apartment. The movers came and left on Tuesday, (one week ago), then they camped in their apartment for two days, cleaning, and tying up loose ends. On the day when the movers came, Norm and I were watching Bridger, and at noon were to go to EmberLee's school to pick her up and keep them both until 4:00. That was so much fun!!!!
We had doughnuts and chocolate milk for breakfast!!!
Worked in the yard with Grandpa!
And got a fun ride from Grandpa!
And, you must meet Bridgers dead bee, Hancock!!!!
And, it was time to go back home.
Ty's parents live in Ogden so they went up there for a couple of days to spend some time with her family. On the following Monday, they came back here to spend some time with us. What am amazing week that was, and how grateful I am for it.
After the adoption, we all went out to lunch and had a bite to eat before we went to the Provo Utah Temple and witnessed the sealing of these two great boys to my son and their mother.
The very next day, Ty, Austin, EmberLee and Bridger set out in the car, to drive to Alaska. 3,600 miles and they expected it to take about five days.
Jake, Kurtis and Theron spent Wed., Thurs., and part of the day Fri. with us. It was a busy time for Jake running errands, and getting paperwork done, etc. but we managed to have some fun.
Theron learned to climb the stairs. He is the fourth grandchild to learn to climb the stairs here. EmberLee, Bridger, Katie (Jakes little 18 month old neice) and now Theron!
With Grandpas help, to start, Kurtis mowed the yard. Thought the lawn mower was a race car! I had been trying to get Norm to get me some longer hoses, but it just didn't get done, so, when they got to the back yard, Kurtis found (with the lawn mower),a couple of shorter hoses that we were able to piece together and make a long hose! Bless you Kurtis, for your unique way of helping!
The days spent with us, were a good time to witness what a good father my son has become!
His children love him and he adores them.
Theron loves sweet potatoes!!!!
It has been five days now, and the pain has eased up a bit. I am alright if I keep busy and don't look at too many pictures or let my mind dwell too much. We have talked to them a couple of times since they have settled into their new home. (as much as you can settle with your things in a moving van!) They are doing fine. Ty had a harrowing trip with many "adventures" along the way, but got there very tired, but well. It was pretty scary for Jake to have her out there by herself, but she did it.
I am happy for them to be starting a new chapter in their lives. As many people told me, it will be good for them. I understand that, and am grateful that they have been given this opportunity, but..........................I am very selfish in that I did not want them to go because I knew what it would feel like, and it did.
We love you all and miss you very much!! Five years is going to be awfully long!!! Please don't forget us!
Our most basic instinct is not for survival but for family. Most of us would give our own life for the survival of a family member, yet we lead our daily life too often as if we take our family for granted.
~Paul Pearshall





2 comments:
What a great blog. This is beautiful! I'm glad they all arrived safely and are experiencing their new adventure!
That makes me sad reading this blog. It was harder for me than I thought to leave home, to watch my dad cry, to see loved ones and friends for the last time for a few years. To drive down the road to get onto the freeway eas way emotional. I cried. I cried because my family is my life and we were truely setting forth to do something new. I'm glad we made it, I've met some of our ward and I think we will make it here in beautiful Alaska. I am excited for you guys to come here when Austin becomes a deacon next year. We'll have lots of pictures and new stories and adventures to hold dear to. We will miss all of you too.
I've got our camera set up. I've been trying to call you, answer your phone :)
Post a Comment