I Have Fought a Good Fight

"May we resolve from this day forward to fill our hearts with love. May we go the extra mile to include in our lives any who are lonely or downhearted or who are suffereing in any way. May we "cheer up the sad and make someone feel glad." May we live so that when that final summons is heard, we may have no serious regrets, no unfinished business, but will be able to say with the Apostle Paul, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."
~ Thomas S. Monson

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Some Of The Fathers In My Life


There are a few fathers that are very important to me and who have truly made an impact on my life....

The first is my own father:

Neil James Grady

Born: April 10, 1913
Died: Feb.1, 2009

This has been my first Fathers Day without my father, and I will say that it was a bit hard to take. He had been on this earth for almost 96 years.


Throughout our lives my father and I had lots of ups and downs, as far as our relationship goes, but in spite of that, I learned a lot from him. Honesty, integrity, hard work.......but the most precious thing he gave me was the knowledge that you can become anything you want to be, or accomplish whatever you want, in your life, if you work hard and don't give up. Dreams can come true. He lived to see many of his come true, especially one, and that one dream of his, and the day it all came together, will forever be with my because I knew from that day forward, that my life and my accomplishments were up to me, and I could do it.


Another father that comes to mind is my husband:

He has been a strength in my life that I cannot even discribe. The past couple of years have been a real trial for him, but in spite of that, he is here and alive, and worked hard to stay with us. He loves his children with a fierceness that is beyond measure, and has never faltered. He has tolerated so much from all of us, and loves us in spite of our shortcomings. He will always be there, and we all know it. He has worked hard, all of his life, and always took care of his family and provided for us.


Another of my favorite fathers is my son: Jacob Alvin Lyman.

My son is one of the most kind and gentle people I know, and not only does he love his own five children, he loves everyone else's. He is the kind of dad that children run to, and know they are safe.

He again, works hard for his family, willing to do anything to see that they are provided for, and well.


Jacob, has a personality that draws people to him. He makes people laugh. I have always called Jacob, my "free spirit!" He truly is that. He is good at his job and people respect him for his integrity and desire to do the best he can.

Jake is a wonderful example of the Priesthood, and for that I am grateful.


Yet another father that I admire is my brother: Dennis Keith Grady. (seen here with his son, two grandsons, and my father. Denny is one of the best fathers there are. He worked tirelessly for his son and through some very difficult times his concern has been only for Patrick and how he has dealt with the things that have gone on in his family. My brother had spent several years taking care of my father and his affairs, which at times, were extremely difficult. Never once did he complain or give up. He has always given his all to his son and family.

Denny has an amazing talent for music. He can't read a note, but if he hears a song, he can play it!!!! He has taught himself to play the piano, the harmonica and various other instruments. He is also a talented pilot of remote control airplanes, and teaches on a regular basis. My brother is another example of hard work and sacrifice to others. He is talented in many other areas also: and artist, making beautiful guns, working on cars and motorcycles, on and on and on!

We also, had our ups and downs, and maybe still will, but I am thankful for his example of fatherhood.


There is an "up and comming" father that I really admire and think a great deal of and that is my son in law: Roger Alan Lowe. I think fatherhood was a bit of a surprize to him and a little scary, but he has "risen to the challenge" and done a fantastic job. He love his little daughter very much and works hard to provide for her, and my daughter. He has worked hard to have a career that he loves and will provide his little family with the things they need.

He and I joke around a lot, but I hope that he knows how much I love him. He is an example to me of generosity and kindness, and a strong love for my daughter and his. Thank you Roger!!!




This father ranks among my favorites also. This is Roger Alan Lowe Sr. My son in laws father. "Big Rog" has worked in the coal mines of Utah, for years and years, driving great distances, every day to provide for his family of six children and a wife. He has taught his children kindness, hard work, and love. He has raised his family to the best of his ability and it shows. I am so thankful to know him and to have the opportunity to get to know him and his family in the future.


This man will share anything he has with anyone and will not pass up the chance to help someone in need. Roger Sr. has taught his children values that are not seen much in this day and age, and it is wonderful to see.


Last, but definatley not least is our Heavenly Father, who is the supreme Father and loves us beyond measure. He loves all of his children, each and every one, and does not have favorites. I am so thankful for Him and all that he has taught me. I shall ever be grateful to have the opportunity to "sit at His feet" and learn.


There are many other fathers that I see each and every day. The fathers at church whos children fight for the opportunity to sit next to them. The father in the store that play with their children, skipping down the isles. The fathers that take their sons to the toy store, or shop for that very special pair of shoes, or coach soccer, baseball, and other things. Fathers that go to work everyday, and sacrifice much of their time and talents to allow their children to progress and have things in life that they may not have had.

I have some neighbors who are awesome fathers too, and they know who they are. If they don't, others do!! I thank you!!!! I love you all!!!!


Mender of toys, leader of boys,
Changer of fuses, kisser of bruises,
Bless him, dear Lord.
Mover of couches, soother of ouches,
Pounder of nails, teller of tales,
Reward him, O Lord.
Hanger of screens, counselor of teens,
Fixer of bikes, chastiser of tykes,
Help him, O Lord.
Raker of leaves, cleaner of leaves,
Dryer of dishes, fulfiller of wishes.
Bless him, O Lord.

3 comments:

Lowe Family said...

That is such a good dedication! BEAUTIFUL!

Ty Lyman said...

AWESOME father's Day dedication.

Cathy said...

What a beautiful tribute to the important men in your life. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.