I Have Fought a Good Fight

"May we resolve from this day forward to fill our hearts with love. May we go the extra mile to include in our lives any who are lonely or downhearted or who are suffereing in any way. May we "cheer up the sad and make someone feel glad." May we live so that when that final summons is heard, we may have no serious regrets, no unfinished business, but will be able to say with the Apostle Paul, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."
~ Thomas S. Monson

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Oh Christmas Tree! Oh Christmas Tree!


Ha!!! I got it!!!! Our annual Christmas tree hunt was a big success and all came away with a satisfactory tree!!!

When I met my soon to be son in law, he told us all about his family and some of the cool things they do. I knew they were my kind of people before I met them. One of the cool things he told me about was the fact that they go search for a live Christmas tree out in the Uinta National Forest. It is a fun drive out there, and lots of time to visit.


The coolest part of the story Roger told us was that when they eventually find the tree of their dreams, they SHOOT it down!!!! Yes, you heard me. They get out the trusty shot-gun and shoot it!!! I thought that was crazy. Had never heard anything like that before!!!


We were invited to go with them three years ago, and I thought, "Yea, right!!!" Well, we went and boy was it fun!!! It has become a Lowe/Lyman Christmas tradition, I think. I love the Lowes, and they have come up with the coolest way to get a Christmas tree ever. Not only do you get to get the tree of your choice, and create memories decorating it and making your home all pretty, but you get to create memories with people that you love and you get to trek all around on the hillsides looking for a tree in the stinkin' cold, carrying the guns and all of the stuff you need to keep warm. What a blast it was the first time we did it, and it was a blast yesterday.

Here is the proof!



Ready, Aim, FIRE!!!! It had been a while since I had taken my crash course on "Shotguns for Dummies" so, as you can see, I have the gun in the totally wrong place and it is gonna hurt!!!! It did!!! Still does!



Here is the prize!!!! Is that not the prettiest tree ever! One shot too!!!!!
Now, after miles and miles of huffing and puffing all over the mountainside, Big Roger and Teresa found a tree. It was Rogers turn to "kill a tree".


Hot Dang!!!! He got it!!! (but, don't ask him how many shots it took him to kill that little bitty tree!! He tends to fib a little about that! Remember, I got mine in one shot.)


THE FEARLESS HUNTER HAS RETURNED!!!!

Now it was Teresa's turn!!!! She again found the perfect tree and it was her turn to make "the kill".


BANG!!!!!! Timber!!!! She got it!!! But, sadly, she had to take more than one shot!!! But, the results were the same, except, I was the only one that was a true marksman that time!!!!



Meet Annie Oakley!!!! Well, almost!!!! She is better!!!!!


Two of my favorite people in the whole world.

All joking aside....Thank you Roger and Teresa, for asking us to go with you three years ago, and allowing us to "crash your party " ever since!!! It is a blast and something we can treasure for a long time. Oh yes, and we mustn't forget the Christmas tree hunting hat!!! See if you all can guess who is wearing it!!!
WE LOVE YOU ROGER AND THERESA!!!! Thanks for the memories!!!

Yes, Norm was there too, but we all got so excited and were having so much fun, that he didn't get in the picture. He took them!!! Just so he won't feel slighted, here is his picture from last year!!!! Talk about a wimp!!!!


"If you want to keep your memories, you first have to live them."

~~~ Bob Dylan

2 comments:

Lowe Family said...

There better be a next year....i love going! It's so fun! I'm glad you got some quality time with the Lowe's. They are amazing!

Ty Lyman said...

I swore I commented on this one...

I think it's neat that traditions pass on, even if it's through in laws :) What neat people you have to share traditions with. The Lowe's are very sweet.