I Have Fought a Good Fight

"May we resolve from this day forward to fill our hearts with love. May we go the extra mile to include in our lives any who are lonely or downhearted or who are suffereing in any way. May we "cheer up the sad and make someone feel glad." May we live so that when that final summons is heard, we may have no serious regrets, no unfinished business, but will be able to say with the Apostle Paul, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."
~ Thomas S. Monson

Monday, December 7, 2009

Pearl Harbor Day


Let us all take a moment and remember those who have done so much for us. It seems in this busy time of year, we are thinking about gifts and loved ones, and Christmas Trees, etc, which are not bad things to think about. In fact they are fun and I personally am excited for the first time in years. Some of my children are not here anymore so that will be a bit sad.
I was at Wal Mart this morning, again, thinking about some of the last minute things I needed to get to finish some projects, and don't forget the eggs and milk. On the way home, I was listening to my favorite radio station and the guy was talking about Pearl Harbor and the fact that there are very few survivors left. He talked about thanking them, and their families and loved ones for all they have shared with all of us.
In looking for a picture to put here, I was reading a little bit about the USS. Arizona. Admittedly, I didn't read much but just enough to remind me that there are still over 1000 men "entombed" in that ship. Surely a lot of you knew that, but for me, I needed to be reminded.
Thank you all, wherever you may be, for sacrificing your time, families, and your lives, for us to live here in this free country and enjoy all of the wonderful things that so many have fought for. Thank you!
And so my fellow Americans ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world, ask not what America can do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.
John F. Kennedy Inaugural Address..Jan. 20, 1961

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Thanks so much for your post Frances. Jim was asked to speak at a Pearl Harbor Memorial this morning in Lakeport. It was very moving. There were about 7 Lake County Pearl Harbor Survivors in attendance at the memorial. Each one took a few minutes and told their story, where they were and what they were doing at the time of the attack.They all said that they were just doing what was asked of them and that they were proud to serve their country. I was so thankful to be at this memorial and hear their stories. They are all in their late 80's and 90's so it was a privledge for me to hear each story personally. It made me very very thankful. It's so important to remember.

Ty Lyman said...

thanks for the reminder. I am glad that you were able to remind me of the sacrifices others make for us and our country :)