I Have Fought a Good Fight

"May we resolve from this day forward to fill our hearts with love. May we go the extra mile to include in our lives any who are lonely or downhearted or who are suffereing in any way. May we "cheer up the sad and make someone feel glad." May we live so that when that final summons is heard, we may have no serious regrets, no unfinished business, but will be able to say with the Apostle Paul, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."
~ Thomas S. Monson

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Hot Tuna!!!!

We are doin' gooooooooooooooooooood!!!! Norm went in for his cardioversion today. We had to be there by 9:30 and we were out of there eating breakfast by 11:30. I-Hop, no less. The doctor told Norm that he could have nothing to eat or drink after midnight last night, so, by 11:30 he was a bit hungry. So we did the I-Hop thing. That was our first time venturing out to eat anywhere that didn't have a drive-thru. Norm hasn't been able to walk very far, plus, you have to drag oxygen with you. We are getting pretty good at it tho!!!!

Anyway, I did not stay in the room while they did it. Dr. Walkers P.A. came out and got me, in it seemed like about 10 minutes!!! I walked into the room and Norm was laying there like he had just had a nap. Well, he had, but it was very short. He said "I thought they were going to shock my heart". I told him that they already had and he was amazed. He said "I didn't even know I was asleep". I looked up at the monitor and there was that beautiul regular heartbeat. It was wonderful to see. We pray now, that he stays in a regular heart beat, instead of going back into a-fib. This is the last cardioversion they will do on him, so, if this doesn' t work and the maze procedure doesn't kick in, I guess he will stay on cumadin the rest of his life.

It was funny when we walked into the Cardiac ICU ...Dr. Mitchell (the heart surgeon) was there. He saw us and gave us a big wave, but when he came into the room, after talking on the phone, he had this worried look on his face, and said "What are you in here for????". I told him that it was a cardioversion, and he was much relieved. "Oh, yea, it is Tuesday!! Dr. Walker and I talked about that!!!" He looked Norm over and was pleased with his progress, said that he was skinny and then left, saying that he had a short surgery and would be back after. I went down to the OR to see Jake and Dr. Mitchell was just finishing up an operation and asked how Norm was. I told him that we still had a regular heartbeat and he said "Yeeeeeesssssssssssss!!!" He is so cool. What a neat man he is and an extremely talented surgeon.

So, we are home now, tired, but well and hoping and praying that when we go to the doctors appointment tomorrow...that he is still in a regular heartbeat. I think everyone will cry if he is not. We need a break here folks!!!!! Let's get 'er done!!!!!

I got a call from some of my "ICU Family". It was great to hear Anna's voice and for her to say that Rick and Tara were well and happy. Didn't hear much from Robert....just mumbleing in the background!!! But, I like him anyway!!!! Sure do miss those guys, but, they are where they need to be and where they want to be....."HOME". Just wish we lived closer.

It was like "old home week" when we walked back into CICU too!!!! Everyone waved and smiled and then asked "what are you doing here???" We had been in CICU three times, so, they know us well. They are all great there and it was good to see them...partly because we knew we weren't going to be there long!!! It was good for them to see Norm walking, dressed in real clothes and smiling. And he left the same way!!!! They loved it.


My daughter called tonight saying that one of her husbands friends gave them a really good deal on some sod for their back yard. Now I am totally ripped!!!! My lawn is dying and really yukky because the sprinklers keep breaking.....and my daughter gets sod!!!!! What is wrong with this picture!!!! I am happy for them, but jealous!!!! My lawn looked so pretty last year and we had so many pretty flowers.....I really don't like her!!!!! She's got flowers already too. Brat!!!!

So, now I am going to go eat some worms!!!!!

If you don't get everything you want, think of the things you don't get that you don't want. ~Oscar Wilde

No comments: