I Have Fought a Good Fight

"May we resolve from this day forward to fill our hearts with love. May we go the extra mile to include in our lives any who are lonely or downhearted or who are suffereing in any way. May we "cheer up the sad and make someone feel glad." May we live so that when that final summons is heard, we may have no serious regrets, no unfinished business, but will be able to say with the Apostle Paul, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."
~ Thomas S. Monson

Monday, May 12, 2008

A New Week!!! (Mon., May 12, 2008)

Well, what do you know??? It's bedtime!!!! Who would'a thunk it???? What happened to the day??? Norm and I are both so tired after last night, plus he has had an upset stomach most of the day, that we are both ready for bed. Actually, he is already there!!!!

Therapy went well today. Like I said, he wasn't feeling really well, so it was pretty hard on him, but he did it. We talked about this when he began rehab, that he would have to work sometimes when he was sure he couldn't....and he has. Today, was no exception. He worked really hard. He had occupational therapy first where they are working on his upper body strength, and fine motor skills. They are coming along really well. The fine motor skills are really doing well. He can write legibly now!!! Since the surgery and him being so weak, he has gotten really shaky. But, he is learning how to control it and is doing much better. All along, I have been afraid that he wouldn't be able to go out to his shop and work with his power tools but, I think that will come. A couple of days ago, he found some kind of excuse to go out to the shop, and when we got there and found what he wanted, he just sat in his chair, at his work bench and looked around. I felt so bad, because I know how much he loves that shop. I have the same kind of "relationship" with my sewing and craft room!!!! He will get back out there, I'm sure of it.

Speech was good also. I am more amazed every day, at how much he remembers, and how well he can sort it all out!!!! The speech therapist has had Norm get a little pocket planner to keep track of all of his appointments and wants him to put some names and address's in it. I thought that was a great idea. We did it and it really has helped. Believe it or not, it has helped his writing too. It is one more thing that he can control and do by himself. Every little bit helps. I am trying really hard, to not get in his face and to let him struggle with things a little bit. It is very hard because he has been through so much that I just want to help and make things easier. Short-term, maybe I am making things a little easier for him, but long-term, I am not sure if I am doing him any favors. He will have to do it someday...I just have to learn to let go, and still be there when he may need some help.

Physical therapy was a little hard for him, but he was pretty pleased with what he accomplished. He and the therapist took quite a long walk, plus some time on a machine that works the legs, similar to a bike. Then, they went to the balance bars and did some work on balance and some more leg work. The therapists work them hard, but it also helps to get his mind off of his situation. I have always felt that if he were ever to get depressed, then we would be in real trouble. Depression is so hard to overcome...but, so far, he has done well. One of the reasons that I don't get much done around the house, is that when we do have free time, we talk a lot. It has been pretty frustrating to him, not to remember anything from a couple of days before he went in for the surgery, until he got to rehab, which was 7 weeks. He has lost almost two months. Sometimes when we talk about some of the things that he has been through, he will look at me and say "how did I miss that???" or "why can't I remember any of that???". I keep tellling him that there are very few people, having been through what he has been through, that would remember. Some say that it is a good thing that he can't remember, but then again, he is slow to see any progress that he has made, because he has no idea how seriously ill he was, and that he almost died at least three times. But, this too shall pass and he will be at peace with it.

I saw some people that I care a lot about today, at rehab. We met in the ICU waiting room, and have kind of followed each other around. Norm has been in the hospital a little longer than they have, but they have been in rehab longer than we, if that makes any sense. At any rate, they are finally going home tomorrow after a long, hard road, and I am so happy for them. They are awesome examples to so many others, including Norm and I. I will miss them tons, but am so very excited for them.

Rick and Tara, we all love you, and wish you the very best. You will be missed, but it is wonderful to know that you are going on to bigger and better things. Much love to you both.

It is so amazing to me how you can make friends in the wierdest places. There was another couple that we all met in the ICU, and they were awesome. These couples loved ones had devestating injuries rather than illness, and to see how far they have come and how hard they have fought, it is amazing. They are very young, but fight like troopers. I love you all and am very grateful that you have touched my life, cause you have, you know!!!!

Well, on to another day tomorrow. Each day, I say I am going to get some housework done, and it doesn't happen, so, I am not going to say that I am going to get my kitchen cleaned up, vacuuming done, and hopefully some laundry. You didn't hear me say that, cause I didn't!!!


A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn.
~Author Unknown

No comments: