I Have Fought a Good Fight

"May we resolve from this day forward to fill our hearts with love. May we go the extra mile to include in our lives any who are lonely or downhearted or who are suffereing in any way. May we "cheer up the sad and make someone feel glad." May we live so that when that final summons is heard, we may have no serious regrets, no unfinished business, but will be able to say with the Apostle Paul, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."
~ Thomas S. Monson

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tuesday..Errand Day!!! (May 13,08)

Man alive....therapy days are a piece of cake compared to today!!!! We decided last night that if Norm felt better, that we would go do some errands today. When he got up, he seemed much better than yesterday, so we decided to get some stuff done. We went to the "undie" store, then to the bank, then to Costco, did some shopping and had lunch, (I'm a cheap date!!! They have the best hot dogs and Polish sausages there for $1.50, plus a drink and one refill. Can't beat that), then we went to Home Depot to get a "thingie" for the sprinkler thingies, then we had to go clear to the other side of town and pick up a prescription at Wal Mart. That's one of the few times I have ever gone in there and come out with nothing but what I intended to get. I must be sick. It's just a good thing the pharmacy is no where near the craft dept!!!!

By the time we got home, we were both tired. I managed a little cat nap and Norm sat out on the deck. It wasn't really warm today so he didn't stay long.

Today, even with all of our errands, it was a much better day than yesterday. Yesterday, I think he was just too tired. He hadn't slept well, after going to the ER but, he was much better today. I was kinda worried yesterday. Even the therapists were a little concerned. When he gets tired like that he needs more oxygen and it was up quite a bit, over the past few days. Today, it is back down where it should be, but his blood sugars are up. Don't know what's going on with that, but we will figure it out.

We got another statement from the hospital today about the charges. These are itemized statements about the radiology, pharmacy, nursing charges, room charges, doctor charges, etc. The first one we got was for about $275,000.00. Then, we got one for about $74,000.00, and the one today was about $24,000.00!!!! Does that blow you away or what???? I don't remember the cost, but he was in the operating room for 577 minutes. I will have to look it up, but the cost of this stuff is amazing. I don't know what people do that don't have insurance. There certainly wasn't anything else we could have done. One of Norms doctors told him that if he didn't have this surgery, he would die. So, what do you do????

Anyway, tomorrow, we are going on to therapy again, but before that we have an appointment with our favorite Dr. Mitchell. He is the heart surgeon, and a wonderful, caring man. He was so worried about Norm but last time we saw him, Norm was walking with no help and I thought Dr. Mitchell was going to cry. He gave us both a huge hug and just kind of stood there looking at Norm. He was so happy. I think the whole thing was almost as hard on him as it was on Norm. One of the things that bothered Dr. Mitchell, I think, was that he and Jake (my son) work together and are "buds". It is funny to see Jake and Dr. Mitchell walk into a room together. Jake is 6'4" tall and a big boy. Dr. Mitchell is about 5'7" and very thin. What a sight that is!!!

I don't know how, but in between all of the "stuff", I actually got some dishes done, and a little bit of laundry. Like I said before, domesticity is not my call, but it did feel good to get something done.

On to more "stuff" tomorrow. Bed time now.


Talk happiness; talk faith; talk health. Say you are well, and all is well with you, and God shall hear your words and make them true.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox

No comments: