I Have Fought a Good Fight

"May we resolve from this day forward to fill our hearts with love. May we go the extra mile to include in our lives any who are lonely or downhearted or who are suffereing in any way. May we "cheer up the sad and make someone feel glad." May we live so that when that final summons is heard, we may have no serious regrets, no unfinished business, but will be able to say with the Apostle Paul, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."
~ Thomas S. Monson

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Thank you!!!

Well, I need to say thank you to my daughter for reminding me of the things we all need to be thinking about this weekend, especially tomorrow. I spent the afternoon, after we came home from church, trying to make some stupid origami flapping crane and trying to think of a way to talk Norm into letting me buy a laptop that was on sale for Memorial Day, and it was such a good price. Gosh, what a loon!!!! Norm went to bed early so, I came down here to the computer and played a bit of Zuma. Then I decided that I would make the rounds of the blogs that I check every day. The first one was my daughters. I would urge any who would like, to check it out. What an awesome job she did in telling us all what we need to have our mind on tomorrow, and for the rest of our lives. http://www.rogerandchristylowe.blogspot.com/


Most of my life, I have been a follower rather than a leader. I never am the first one to get a good idea, and after I see what someone else has done, I wonder why I didn't think to do it, or think it, or act it. This is another one of those times. I am ashamed that I didn't think to do something like Christy did.




With malice towards none...With charity for all; With firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow and his orphan-- to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves, and with all nations. Abraham Lincoln, March 4, 1865



Cheers for the sailors that fought on the wave for it,
Cheers for the soldiers that always were brave for it,
Tears for the men that went down to the grave for it,
Here comes the flag!
~Arthur Macy, The Flag







The Pledge of Allegiance
I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands,one Nation under God,indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.



Commentary on the Pledge of Allegiance
by Red Skelton

As a schoolboy, one of Red Skelton's teachers explained the words and meaning of the Pledge of Allegiance to his class. Skelton later wrote down, and eventually recorded, his recollection of this lecture. It is followed by an observation of his own.

I - - Me; an individual; a committee of one.

Pledge - - Dedicate all of my worldly goods to give without self-pity.

Allegiance - - My love and my devotion.

To the Flag - - Our standard; Old Glory ; a symbol of Freedom; wherever she waves there is respect, because your loyalty has given her a dignity that shouts, Freedom is everybody's job.

United - - That means that we have all come together.

States - - Individual communities that have united into forty-eight great states. Forty-eight individual communities with pride and dignity and purpose. All divided with imaginary boundaries, yet united to a common purpose, and that is love for country.

And to the Republic - - Republic--a state in which sovereign power is invested in representatives chosen by the people to govern. And government is the people; and it's from the people to the leaders, not from the leaders to the people.

For which it stands

One Nation - - One Nation--meaning, so blessed by God.

Indivisible - - Incapable of being divided.

With Liberty - - Which is Freedom; the right of power to live one's own life, without threats, fear, or some sort of retaliation.

And Justice - - The principle, or qualities, of dealing fairly with others.

For All - - For All--which means, boys and girls, it's as much your country as it is mine.
And now, boys and girls, let me hear you recite the Pledge of Allegiance:

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic, for which it stands; one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country, and two words have been added to the Pledge of Allegiance: Under God. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer, and that would be eliminated from schools, too?
~ Red Skelton


I, among many others, hopefully, would like to extend my thanks to those who have died to preserve the many freedoms that I enjoy each and every day. To those who have lost sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, husbands, wives, brothers, sisters, I thank you! To those who live, and are fighting for our freedom and the freedom of others, as I sit here and type, I thank you!

To those who would not support those who have fought for the freedom to be able to be in opposition, I would say "I am sorry for you". ~ Frances Lyman


“Let me be a free man. Free to travel. Free to stop. Free to work. Free to choose my own teachers. Free to follow the religion of my fathers. Free to think and talk and act for myself.”
Chief JosephNez Perce Indian Tribe


Thank you again, to my daughter for giving me reason to remember and ponder the many blessings we enjoy, living in the United States of America.

1 comment:

Lowe Family said...

All those serves men and women hold a special place in my heart. My eyes water up as I think about all that has been done for me so I can live in this great country. Your tribute is beautiful. Thank you!